These internal complaints handling procedures have been written for handling any expression of dissatisfaction, whether oral or written, and whether justified or not, from or on behalf of a complainant about TRS’s provision of a regulated claims management service.
These internal complaints handling procedures provide guidance on:
a. receiving complaints;
b. responding to complaints;
c. the appropriate investigation of complaints; and
d. notifying complainants of their right to complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), the timeframe for doing so and full contact details of the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
A complainant is a person using a service regulated under the Compensation Act 2006;
TRS will take reasonable steps to ensure that all relevant employees are aware of TRS’s internal complaints handling procedures and that they act in accordance with them.
Particular Provisions for Complaints
1. A complainant can make a complaint by letter, telephone, e-mail or in person, using the contact details given at the bottom of this document;
2. TRS will ensure that the complaint will be investigated by a person of sufficient competence who, where possible, was not directly involved in the matter which is the subject of the complaint;
3. TRS will ensure that the person charged with responding to complaints has sufficient authority to settle complaints (including offering redress where appropriate); he will have ready access to someone who has the necessary authority, if necessary, or in matters of doubt;
4. TRS has made provision for responses to complaints to address adequately the subject matter of the complaint and, where a complaint is upheld, to offer redress.
Timescale for Complaints
5. TRS will consider all complaints that are made, regardless of when the complaint is made;
6. TRS will send written or electronic acknowledgement of a complaint within five working days of receipt, giving the name or job titleof the person handling the complaint, together with details of TRS’s internal complaint handling procedure;
7. TRS will, within eight weeks of receiving a complaint, send the complainant either:
a. a final response (which will inform the complainant that they can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), the timeframe for doing so and full contact details for the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS)) or:
b. a response which:
i. explains that TRS is still not in a position to make a final response, gives reasons for further delay and indicates when TRS will be able to provide a final response; and
ii. informs the complainant in writing that they can complain to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS), the timeframe for doing so and full contact details for the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
Referring Your Complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service
8. We want to give you the best possible service. However, if at any point you become unhappy with the service we have provided, you should inform us immediately so that we can do our best to resolve the problem for you. We have eight weeks to consider your complaint. If we are unable to help you, then you can have the complaint independently looked at by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
9. The Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) can investigate complaints up to six years from the date of the problem happening or within three years of when you found out about the problem. If you wish to refer your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) this must be done within six months of our final response to your complaint.
10. Where the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) requests assistance in connection with the investigation, consideration or determination of complaints under the ombudsman scheme, TRS will provide such assistance in connection with those matters as it is reasonably able to give.
11. TRS will comply with a notice that requires specified information or documents to be provided to the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).
12. TRS will comply with any direction contained in a determination made by the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) where the determination of the complaint has been accepted by the complainant and is binding and final.
13. If you would like more information about the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) their contact details are as follows:
By phone: 0800 023 4567 between 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 1pm on Saturday.
Calls to 0800 numbers are free in the UK from landline and mobile phones.
0300 123 9 123 between 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, and 9am to 1pm on Saturday
Calls to 03 numbers will cost no more than calls to national geographic numbers (starting 01 or 02) from both mobiles and landlines.
If you are calling from overseas, please call +44 20 7964 0500
Next Generation Text Relay: (18002) 020 7964 1000
Switchboard: 020 7964 1000
Fax: 020 7964 1001
By Post: Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange, London, E14 9SR.